Ovoca Manor is Scripture Union’s Retreat and Adventure Centre located in the stunning Vale of Avoca, Co Wicklow.
Set high above the valley floor, the centre boasts breathtaking views. The 21 acres of grounds encompass river walks, forest trails and an incredible array of facilities.
Whether you are planning time away for your church or parish, a youth holiday camp, a school activity day or retreat, a transition year programme or just a few hours of fun-packed adventure for you and your friends, Ovoca Manor and its facilities has all of the ingredients for an unforgettable experience.
Facilities on site
Communal facilities include:
- Large conference room with electric piano and full AV facilities which comfortably seats 130 people
- Bright and spacious dining room with balcony overlooking the valley
- Fully equipped catering kitchen
- Self-service coffee bar
- Comfortable sitting rooms and seating areas
- Two log-burning stoves with wood provided
- Large games room with AV facilities, table tennis, pool table and football table as well as an adjoining kitchenette and doors onto an outdoor terrace.
There is a lift across all 4 floors of the Manor and there are two disabled access ensuite bedrooms on the 1st floor accommodating up to 7 guests. In addition, there is a disabled access toilet on the ground floor and a disabled access toilet and shower room in the basement.
Minimum number: 50
Maximum number : 95
Click HERE to View The Manor: Bedroom Layout
Click HERE to View The Manor: Lower ground & ground floor layout
Minimum number: 20
Maximum number: 38
The self-contained Densmore Flat is perfect for those looking to get away midweek by themselves, as a small group or as a family. Enjoy the stunning surroundings of the Vale of Avoca, the 21 acres of grounds and facilities and the many walks available from the door. The flat sleeps up to 6 people with two bunk beds in an ensuite bedroom and two individual sofa-chairs in the living area. The living, dining and kitchen area are open plan and the kitchen is fully equipped with cooker, fridge and microwave. A travel cot and high chair are also available on request.
Minimum number: 1
Maximum number: 6
Click HERE to view Densmore Lodge Room Layout
Get back to nature with a stay at our 12 pitch hillside campsite which has a wash-block with hot showers and an enclosed kitchen area including fridge, gas burners and oven. A marquee for group meetings is available for hire on request.
We also have a hard standing area with electric hook-ups outside of the Sports Hall for up to 6 caravans/ mobile homes. Guests are welcome to use the washroom and shower facilities in the Sports Hall.
River walk: There is a 2/3km walk around the site that meanders down to the river by the stream, along the banks of the River Avoca and back up to the Manor through the woods. See the map for details and follow the markings along the way.
We also have 21 acres of grounds with a whole host of facilities which are available for all residential groups to use at no additional cost:
- Sports Hall: The Sports Hall is ideal for indoor games and we invite you to make use of our variety of equipment including: badminton nets and racquets, volleyball net, uni-hoc sticks and puck, basket ball hoops and 5-a-side goals. Our Sports Hall is also available for hire by local groups.
- The Field: The perfect place for outdoor games and activities, let off steam on our football-pitch sized field by the river.
- Plunge pool: Our stream-fed outdoor pool is available for the brave in the summer months. Speak to the Duty Manager to arrange a briefing – a group leader will be required to demonstrate life-saving capabilities.
- Orienteering: You need bring nothing but a sense of direction to enjoy our on-site orienteering course. Ask the Duty Manager for a map and punch card and away you go! There are up to 26 control points hidden around the grounds so there is plenty of fun to be had with your map reading skills. The maps are produced to recognised orienteering standards so this could be the start of a new pastime. If you are looking for a bit more help it can also be run as an Ovoca Manor instructor led session. View map
- Tube slide: Don your helmet, jump into a sack and experience the thrill of plunging down the hillside in our 120ft enclosed tube slide! This activity must be supervised by a group leader and be booked in advance with the Duty Manager.
- Assault and low ropes courses: Groups are welcome to enjoy the Junior Assault Course opposite the Manor House and the Low Ropes Course behind the Manor House.
- Bonfire site: There is a site set aside for relaxed evenings around a camp fire. Wood for the fire will need to be collected from around the grounds and don’t forget the marshmallows!
- Children’s play area: Younger guests can dig, slide, swing, climb and play house in our play area in front of the Manor House while their carers enjoy the fabulous view.
- Tuck and Book Shops: There is a Tuck and Book Shop in the Manor selling a variety of snacks and drinks as well as Bibles and other Christian literature, journals and a number of souvenirs for the young people to enjoy. If you would like to make use of these facilities, please speak to the Duty Manager.
Camp site & Pond